Monday, May 22, 2023

The Dog


 One evening I was walking down the street when I spotted a dog lolling on a footpath. Our eyes met briefly and I continued walking. The dog got up from his royal bed and started following me gingerly. I looked back, he looked at me. I walked a few steps and stopped at the pedestrian crossing signal. He stopped and stood by my side. The light turned green and I crossed the road. He crossed the road with me. Now -  dogs are blessed with a sixth sense and great hearing sense. I have observed that whenever they cross the road they don’t look right or left to check if a vehicle is approaching. They look straight ahead and relying on their sixth or hearing sense, cross the road. This champ probably had too much faith  in me and crossed the road when he saw me crossing. I guess he backed my walking and traffic sense. I stopped at a milk booth to buy eggs and milk. He too stopped and sat waiting for me to finish purchasing. He kept looking at me. And somehow I knew it wasn’t a kind of look that said - I am hungry-  so I didn’t buy anything to feed him. I started walking and he followed now more confidently. He had found a friend I guess. I patted him. He wagged his tail. And I went home. From my balcony I looked down to check if he was still there. You bet he was there- lolling on a new royal bed.



No comments: